Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Week 4, Thing # 9 Blogs and News Feeds

I registered with Merlin. I can see its usefulness for tech training if it is actively updated and the training opportunities are truly statewide contributions.

I like that Topix can bring up local information based on your zip code. Even though most of my results were obituaries. A real downer!! I actually brought up my blog using Technorati. Neat!!

However, I can’t say that I found the search tools very intuitive. Many of my search results brought up nothing or quite old information. The usefulness of the results for finding current information is questionable. Would I want to have a feed to potentially dated information? The search tools need more investigation on my part before I use them regularly.

1 comment:

JimD said...

I agree. I think the way we're approaching this is a bit artificial. Most people who use this have an rss reader set up and just pick up feeds from sites or sources that they bump into. I don't think most users set up a reader and then go hunting for sources just so they can use it. I suspect we'll all end up dumping our original list of selections once we build a list of more useful ones over time.