Monday, June 11, 2007

Week 3, Thing # 5 Flickring Images

Since I do not own a digital camera, my recent trip to New Zealand was documented on 35 mm film. Not too conducive for using Flickr. However, this photo that I found on Flickr does give you an idea of why I was so awestruck by the Huka Falls. The deafening rumble of rushing crystal blue-green water was breathtaking. No kayaking here.

Huka Falls
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93474406@N00/462672029 Photo owned and uploaded on April 17, 2007 by Fritzy2

The Maori word “Huka” means “foam”. These wonderful falls are just north of Taupo, New Zealand. 62,000 gallons of water per second pour down the Falls. The Falls are caused by the Waikato River, which goes from 250 yards across to a confining 50 ft wide, forcing the water through a hard volcanic rock gorge. Today, the flow of water is controlled depending on the rainfall and the needs for power generation from the hydo-electric dams on the river downstream. It is hard to believe the water comes from the placid fresh-water Lake Taupo.

The entire Lake Taupo area is within an active volcanic region complete with bubbling mud pots, geysers, floating rocks (pumice), steaming cliffs, and boiling lakes. The lake itself was formed by the collapse of land following a volcanic eruption. Yes, we even experienced an earthquake!

1 comment:

romancereader said...

Bellefontaine,

How I envy you. Ever since I saw the movie "Battle cry" I've wanted to see New Zealand. I read that you do not have a digital camera, but when you develop your 35mm film can't they put it on a CD and that way you can upload it to your computer and then on to flickr? Just a thought.
Also I have one more thing to type,
"Tag You're It!"
Rules are:List 8 facts/habits about yourself.Post the rules of the game at the beginning before those facts/habits are listed.At the end of the post, "tag" 8 people by posting their names.Then go to their blogs and leave them a comment, letting them know that they have been tagged and asking them to read your blog.
These are the rules of the game.
I now must tell you 8 facts or habits about myself.
1. I get a manicure once a week.
2. I've been to Europe 3 times but not recently.
3. British people are not fooled by my accent
4. I'm the baby of the family.
5. I love to garden on my balcony.
6. I'm growing a foxglove plant like the one that's on the cover of the Fern Michaels Book.
7. I love to eat spaghetti squash and pretend it's Italian food.
8. Oscar Levant is George Gershwin's Best Friend and was in the movie American In Paris.